Kanto Network's Bulletin Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kanto Network's Bulletin Board

Connecting trainers and their pokemon in the virtual world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A little of Japenese and Latin

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

Number of posts : 398
Location : Thanks to Suta-raito, Valley of Nightmares, and Lugia's Island for the pictures! ^_^
Registration date : 2006-08-25

A little of Japenese and Latin Empty
PostSubject: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptySat 2 Dec à 11:45

I speak some Japenese. So does Pika! The truth is, I only know a few japenese words because Pika told me their meaning! ^_^ So thanks Pika!

Anyways, here are the words I know:

Hai (pronounced like the word "hi"), which means "yeah"

konichiwa (pronounce ko-NE-che-wa), which means hello, or hi

Ja Ne (Pronounced Ja Ni), which means bye.

chan (pronounced chan), which states the gender "girl" so: Umby-chan. I'm a girl. Pika-chan. She's a girl

There is this other word for a boy, but I forgot.

Now for Latin. I learned this from a dvd called the Roseta Stone.

Puella (Pronounced Poo-ELL-a), girl

I THINK Puell or something like that is for boy. I'm not sure.

sub: under

mansa (I don't remember how to pronounce it), table

Canis (pronounced CA-nis) is dog.

Felis (I think that's how you spell it) (FE-lis) is cat.

and....that's all I remember at the moment.

Okay, maybe Pika can help me with the japenese words.

So anyways, konichiwa Pika, Nella, and moomoo!!
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2006-03-27

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptySun 3 Dec à 8:48

Umbreon Moon wrote:

chan (pronounced chan), which states the gender "girl" so: Umby-chan. I'm a girl. Pika-chan. She's a girl
!

Not quite, Umbry-chan. Words put after a name usually represents the status of the person towards the speaker. Chan is something used at the end of a name to represent "friend" so its like saying "Friend Umbry" sort of except its usually used for girl names.

The other ones make more sense like... /name of a teacher/-sensei
So its like saying teacher /name of a teacher/.

theres also -san which is something like "Mr." Or "Ms."

and "Kun" which is basicly the same as "chan" except its for boy names.

then theres "-sama" which is smoething like "lord"

okay. Well thats all I need to comment on.

Oh, Ja Ne isn't pronnounced "Ja ni" its prenoucned how its spelled and it means "See ya" I know theres one for goodbye but I can't remember.

I can also post a little more Jap if you like:

Hajimemashtie (I'm not even sure I spelled that right but its pronunced Ha-ji-mei-mash-te)
I THINK it's a greeting used when meeting someone for the first time.

Neko(Ne-ko)
Cat

Nekokoneko(Ne-ko-kon-eko)
Kitten

Oaihyo(Again, I don't think I spelled it right but its pronounced sort of like the word: Ohio)
Morning

Ohaiyo Guzimas(Ohio Gu-zie-mas)
Good morning

Arigatto(not sure how to spell AGAIn but...Ari-gato)
Thank you

Arigato Guzimas(Ari-gato Gu-zie-mas)
Thank you very much

Goumen (Gou-men)
Sorry

Ikedakemas (I-ke-da-ke-mas)
Something said before eating I think it means "Lets eat" or something like that

Kaiju (Kai-ju)
Monster

Kawaii(Ka-wai)
Cute

Sakura(Sa-ku-ra)
Cherry blossom (also a popular girl name)

Tomoyo(To-moy-yo)
Also a girl name. I think it mean intelegent

Toya (Toy-a)
Peach arrow or somthin'

Watashi
"I", "me", something around that.

Every now and then some words are pronounced with an "e" at the end like "Ka-wai-e"

Well those are all thwe words of the top of my head. I don't think I added the ones Umbry said though.
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

Location : Thanks to Suta-raito, Valley of Nightmares, and Lugia's Island for the pictures! ^_^

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptySun 3 Dec à 21:22

...wow...this is very... helpful to learn japenese! cool! maybe I can understand japenese pokemon episodes better now! yay! ^_____^ THanks, PIka!
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyMon 4 Dec à 15:57

You're welcome! ^_^

Pikachu tamer wrote:

Every now and then some words are pronounced with an "e" at the end like "Ka-wai-e".

ah, this also aplies to the sound 'u'

like 'Guzimasu' instead of Guzimas

few more words:

ano
um (yes, they have a word for 'um')

Yatta
I did it

Yokatta
Awesome

demo
but

Yukito
a boy name. I think It means snow rabbit

Chiharu
Girl name

Takeshi
Boy name

more off the top of my head. WEll, thats all.
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyMon 4 Dec à 18:05

...cool!
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyMon 11 Dec à 17:29

more:

Dojishtie (Dosh-te)
Why

Daiskii(Dai-ski)
"I really like". Also short for "I love"

Dattebayo (Da-te-ba-yo)
Used to add emphasis to a phrase. Means something like instead of saying "What is that?" if dattebayo is added to it it would be something like "What the **** is that?!". This word or what it means isn't usually put in subtitles though if you listen it is used a lot in various series.

Matte(Ma-te)
something like "wait for me" or "wait up"

Sayonara (Sa-yo-na-ra)
Goodbye

A few names from various series:

Daisuke (Dai-ske)
Main character from D.N.Angel

Tohru(To-ru)
Main character from Fruits basket. Actually a boy name so its pronnounced with -kun even if the character is a girl

Kyo
Also a character from Fruits basket. Boy.

Yuki
Another character from fruits basket. However, in CardCaptor Sakura its used as a nickname for Yukito. This name can be used for either girls or boys and pronnounced with both -chan and -kun

Sasuke
From Naruto. Boy.

Naruto
from Naruto(the series). Also a boy.

Well, again, that was from the top of my head while doing my homework so its not that informative.
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyTue 12 Dec à 21:33

Shocked ....wow...you know a lot...
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyWed 13 Dec à 5:40

something else I picked up:

Yokoso
welcome

T-shatsu
T-shirt

Nice
Naisu
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyWed 13 Dec à 6:07

...eek! You are exploding with Japenese words!!!
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyWed 13 Dec à 15:18

I pick up all the time but sometimes I can't remember. I know some phrases too. Well, I might say some ofthese at school so try to remember some. ^_^

have much more names but I don't want to completely flood the page.

Umbreon Moon wrote:

Hai (pronounced like the word "hi"), which means "yeah"

BTW, this also means "yes" or "okay" or "sure" theres another word or sound for this but I can't remember how to spell. Something like a grunt like..."Orh" or "Oh"
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyWed 13 Dec à 21:20

okay
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyWed 27 Dec à 16:43

I found a little guide in a manga (Tsubasa by CLAMP, I belive) about Honorfics (chan, kun, etc)

Here:

[i]Throughout the Del Rey Manga books you will find Japanese honorifics left intact in the translations. For those not familiar with how the Japanese use honorifics, we present this brief overview.
Politeness has always been a critical facet of Japanese culture. Ever since the feudal era, when Japan was a highly stratified society, use of honorifics-which can be defined as polite speech that indicates relationship or status-has played an essential rule in the Japanese language. When addressing someone in Japanese, an honorific usually takes the form of a suffix attached to one's name (example: "Asuna-san"), or in the place of the name itself (example: "Negi-sensei or simple "Sensei")
Honorifics can be expressions of respect or endearment. In the context of manga and anime, honorifics give insight into the nature of the relationship between characters. Many translations into English leave out these important honorifics, and therefore distort the "feel" of the original Japanese. Because Japanese honorifics contain nuances that English honorifics lack, it is our policy at Del Rey not to translate them. Here, instead, is a guide to some of the honorifics you may encounter in Del Rey Manga.

-san

This is the most common honorific, and is equivalent to "Mr.", "Miss", "Ms.", "Mrs.", etc. It is the all-purpose honorific and can be used in any situation where politeness is required.

-sama

This is one level higher than "-san". It is used to confer great respect.

-dono

This comes from the world "tono" which literally means "lord". Its a higher level than -sama, and confers utmost respect.

-kun

This suffix is used at the end of boys' names to express familiarity or endearment. It is also sometimes used by men among friend, or when adressing someone younger or of a lower status.

-chan

This is used to express endearment, mostly toward a girl. It is also used for little boys, pets, and even among lovers. It gives a sense of childish cuteness.

Sempai

This title suggests that the addressee is one's "senior" in a group or organization.It is most often used in a school setting where where underclassmen refer tot heir upperclassmen as "sempai". It can also be used in a workplace, such as when a newer employee addresses an employee who has seniority in the company.

(shall continue later)

Pikachu tamer wrote:

Politeness has always been a critical facet of Japanese culture. Ever since the feudal era, when Japan was a highly stratified society, use of honorifics-which can be defined as polite speech that indicates relationship or status-has played an essential rule in the Japanese language. When addressing someone in Japanese, an honorific usually takes the form of a suffix attached to one's name (example: "Asuna-san"), or in the place of the name itself (example: "Negi-sensei or simple "Sensei")

This is so off-topic but....Heeey! The examples are from Negima! (Didn't notice it earlier)

Last edited by on Thu 15 Feb à 5:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyFri 9 Feb à 15:48

can you write down some of the phrases here? ^__^
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyThu 15 Feb à 5:25

Umbreon Moon wrote:
can you write down some of the phrases here? ^__^

kk, I got them from a gift book which shows different moods so some phrases usually match.

Hajimemashtie:
Nice to meet you! (Also used for meeting anyone for the first time, its just interpreted as this)

Hajimemasho:
(The 'o' at the end has that line over it, I forget what its called) Let's begin!

Suneteru no?
Sulking?

Sunetenai you!
I am not sulking!

Okashi-sugiru!
Thats too funny!

Warai ga tomaranai!
I can't stop laughing!

Sugoku Kanashii
I'm so sad!

Namida ga tomarani!
I can't stop crying!

Watashi no koto sukina no?
You like me?

Honto ni?
Really?

Daijobu? ( again, 'o' has a line over it)
Are you alright? OR Are you hurt?

Anata no koto shimpaina no.
I'm worried about you.

Obake o mita!
I saw a ghost!

Uwaa! (I suppose its more of a scream if anything so its like 'aaaaahhhhhh')
Yikes!

Mayochatta!
I'm lost!

dochi ni ikeba ii no?
which way should I go?

Jibun o shinjiru wa.
I believe In myself.

Watashi nara dekiru!
I can do anything!

(I have about 50 more so I"ll continue this later)

Pikachu tamer wrote:

This is so off-topic but....Heeey! The examples are from Negima! (Didn't notice it earlier)
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyThu 15 Feb à 10:16

are these phrases from teh book you showed me one time at school? Like the one with pictures and our other friend wondered how the phrases went along with the pictures?
Like when she said,"how can you talk when you are sleeping?" or something like that? is it from that book?

anyways, cool!

in the naruto japanese shows, naruto usually says, "namde byo" or something like that. I don't know how to spell it, but just sound it out and see what you get...what's it mean?
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptySun 18 Feb à 9:11

Umbreon Moon wrote:
are these phrases from teh book you showed me one time at school? Like the one with pictures and our other friend wondered how the phrases went along with the pictures?
Like when she said,"how can you talk when you are sleeping?" or something like that? is it from that book?

anyways, cool!

in the naruto japanese shows, naruto usually says, "namde byo" or something like that. I don't know how to spell it, but just sound it out and see what you get...what's it mean?

Yes, its from that book,

In naruto? Do you mean 'dat-te-ba-yo'?
Back to top Go down
Umbreon Moon

Umbreon Moon

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptyMon 19 Feb à 10:29

yeah, dattebayo. nvm though. you already told me. I really shouldn't post it hear, though....cough.
Back to top Go down
moomoo

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2006-09-27

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptySun 25 Mar à 3:54

I'm learnin' Jap.

Numbers;

1: Ichi
2: Ni
3: San
4: Shi/Yon
5: Go
6: Roku
7: Shichi/Nana
8: Hachi
9: Kyu
10: Jyu
11: Jyu-ichi
12: Jyu-ni

Kehki: Cake
Mizu: Water

'oh' is pronounced as a long 'o', like in motor.

dewa mata ashita: See you tommorrow

'R's are pronounced in between an English R and L.

When there is a u at the end of a word it is only slightly pronounced.

Dohzo Yoroshiku: Pleased to meet you

Watashi no namae wa <inseet name here> desu (Remember! Desu is pronounced like dess)

IMPORTANT! These are only used when talking about your relatives!!!

Sobo: Grandmother
Sofu: Grandfather
Chichi: Father
Haha: Mother
Musume: Daughter
Musuko: Son

Otto: Husband
Tsuma: Wife

Ane (An-Eh): big sister
Imohto: little sister
Ani: Big brother
Otohto: Little brother

EXPECT MORE SOON!
Back to top Go down
Pikachu tamer

Pikachu tamer

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin EmptySun 25 Mar à 8:04

thanks moomoo!

My dad took Aikido and learned how to count in Jap too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little of Japenese and Latin   A little of Japenese and Latin Empty

Back to top Go down

A little of Japenese and Latin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kanto Network's Bulletin Board :: General :: Other Languages-
Jump to: